Working in the healthcare sector opened my eyes to the barriers to well-being experienced by those in residential care.
That was several years ago and since then, I have used my skills in adult education to help overcome these barriers so that residents can continue to enjoy their human rights.
This is the reason I continue to work in the health and community sector where I have over 10 years experience in developing, delivering, evaluating and managing education.
I enjoy working across sectors, combining sound adult learning theory with innovation to lead teams and projects that result in real change.
I am also proud to have been a business owner for over 20 years. It has been professionally fulfilling to combine both my professional interests in Dignity Australia Pty Ltd.
Dignity Australia was formed by a group of sexual health and aged care professionals who have a commitment to maintaining the sexuality and intimacy of elderly Australians. We help aged care clinicians support the sexual and emotional well-being of those in their care. We do this through:
- Consulting and care planning
- Staff training in sexuality and intimacy
- Information sessions for older people and their families
- Providing products that aid sexuality and intimacy of older people
- Links to services that support sexual behaviour and intimacy
Dignity Australia exists to increase the well-being of elderly people by helping them maintain fulfilling sexual expression and intimacy. Dignity is at the centre of all we do.
- The dignity of the person
- The dignity of their needs
- The dignity of their carers
- The dignity of sexual expression
- Support older people to have people the maximum level of choice, independence and control over their sexuality and relationships
- Advocate for the rights of those in residential care to fulfilling and healthy relationships and sexual expression
- Use a values-fair approach that respects all people and their beliefs
- Act to support well-being
- Use a person-centred approach that ensures the person is at the centre of decisions made about them
- Work in collaboration and partnership with reputable organisations and people
- Make decisions grounded in evidence-based, best practice